Septic tanks are an important and vital part of a home or a business. You may not see them, and you probably don’t give them very much thought, but if your septic tank is not functioning properly, you will definitely be giving a lot of thought to how important they are to the functionality of your home. There are a few things you can do to help your septic tank work properly and for a long time. Three tips for keeping septic tanks healthy are:
- Limit Water Usage – One of the easiest ways to ensure a healthy and properly working septic tank is to not over-fill it with excess water. The water from your shower, dishwasher, washing machine, and sinks all makes its way to the septic tank. Here are a few ways to limit water usage:
- Don’t do more than one load of laundry in a day
- Turn off the water while you are brushing your teeth
- Don’t run a dishwasher when it’s not full
- Install high-efficiency toilets
- Repair any known leaks immediately
- No Grease – Pouring grease down your drains is a terrible idea. Grease can build up along your pipes and clog the drain field.
- Watch What You Flush – Your toilet is not a garbage disposal. Nothing other than human waste and toilet paper should ever be flushed down the toilet. You should never flush food, feminine products, baby wipes, paper towels, or hair, to name just a few.